May 10, 2008

New Monotype birds



Just a quick fly in to show and tell a few of my new works on paper...
These monotypes (the backgrounds) have been percolating for the past year. I loved the rusty look of the orange and the multi-subtle colors of the ink on gelatin too much to go further with them for what seemed like ages. Then I saw the electrical lines inside most of the images.
The colors always seemed sort of junkyard industrial rusting metal peeling billboard signish to me.
Now the birds have roosted there and I am happy to call them done.
Happy weekend, mother's day (isn't it the finest holiday ever invented?) and most of all happy spring.
We are off to the garden with fresh-from-freshman-year-finished daughter Grace and almost-14-Chloe.

11 comments:

futuregirl said...

I love it! You are absolutely right about the rusty junkyard vibe. So beautiful and lush. The birds are the perfect finishing touch.

Unknown said...

wonderful illustration - the black works well against the background colors

Anonymous said...

o i love this! it took a moment and then "oh, they're on electric lines!" nice work!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love these little guys. I don't know what it is about them but I do love them so. :)

Anonymous said...

Great artwork!

Willie Baronet said...

Very nice Susan! Love that bg.

Kristi Valiant said...

I love the colors created and the texture. The silhouettes work perfect against it.

kelly barton art + design said...

lovely.
happy moms day to you.

atomicvelvetsigh said...

i luv the rusty feel as well.. but there is a sereneness in this piece..

happy moms day...

Anonymous said...

really good! the textures and colors look awesome!

Susan Schwake said...

thanks all for the kind words!