November 03, 2009

Ginger Pear Cake!


Good morning! It's a lovely fall day out there and we are going to take a trip over to Keene to visit Grace at college. Before going off though, I thought I would share a new recipe I made up yesterday. It started off with a very ripe pear. They had to be eaten so I thought I would try and make a small coffee style cake from them.
Here is the recipe as much as I can remember - I threw it together, so it might be a little more of this or that, but you will get the idea as you go.

Cut up one or two very large anjou pears into bite size pieces.
1 cup plus a little more of White Wheat King Arthur Flour
1 6ox cup of vanilla yogurt
1tsp of powdered ginger or grated fresh ginger
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
a little milk to make a batter out of it!
1 and 1/2 tap baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
a little milk to make a batter out of it if it is too stiff.
Stir it up and pour it into a 6x9 inch pan. Cook at hot temp 375 until browned on top and toothpick comes out clean. It will be moist, but not sticky, sweet but not overly. We loved it. Let me know how it works out if you make it... enjoy today. It's a beautiful one!

4 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That sounds great!! I'll have to give it a try soon!

Sue

RobbieLee at Chickiedee said...

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

csr said...

Thanks for sharing your College Visit Quickbread with all who read your blog, and for using our flour.

Susan Schwake said...

ah someone from King Arthur! yea! we ONLY use your flour. love love love it. thanks all for visiting!