March 24, 2010

Alena Hennessy :: artist interview






On the heels of the last interview, I am happy to introduce Alena Hennessy to the Artist Inteview section of this blog. Alena is one of the three women who are part of our beautiful "Seasonal Travel" exhibition. We have shown Alena's work before and were so pleased that she would be part of this beautiful tribute to springtime. All images are from Alena Hennessy.

1. What is your earliest memory of art making?
Sitting at my Grandmother's house, drawing imaginary worlds for hours. She was a school teacher so she would give me a stack of handouts and I would draw on the back them until the pile was gone.

2. What is your medium of choice? (s)

Acrylics, watercolor pencil, pen, ink, sometimes thread, resin....

3. What are your greatest inspirations for your work?
around Alena's home and studio in NC
Nature and all the creatures within it.

4. Who was the most influential person in your early art career?

Portland, OR. Well, I guess that is not a person but a lot of the artists that lived there who found ways to make a living with their creative work.

5. What is a good art making day look like for you?

Waking up early, enjoying some tea and breakfast, then its to the studio, spending several hours drawing, painting and designing. Or perhaps ending the evening with a night spent of solid art making.

6. Who are your favorite artists - living and dead

I like Rachel Solomon's work a lot. The most powerful painting I saw in person was Henri Rousseau's "The Dream". His work astounded me with its raw beauty. Andy Goldsworthy is my all time favorite however.

7. Words of wisdom that you would like to pass along?

"Everyday is a gift" (along with) "This too shall pass".

8. What art do you find really exciting right now?

Anything eco friendly or green!

9. Where do you see yourself with your art 5 years from now?

Continuing to do what I am doing now, perhaps along with teaching, writing and travel. I would love to write a book about the creative process or an illustrated story.

10. Tell us a little about the process of your art.

It's an intuitive approach. I allow my hand to move as it wants, express the beauty of forms and lines I admire, and go from there. Sometimes there is a narrative or theme I would like to express. So I start with a pencil sketch and then begin adding color, layers of paint and so on.

Thank you so much Alena for being part of our Artist Series and part of our gallery!

No comments: